whiteslice

Nevermind the human interaction

I read because each reading has the ability to shift the angle of my worldview, and this is in turn feeds the will, the desire to live. This is my crack and  as a result I am a ravenous and indiscriminate reader.

False Dawn: The Delusions Of Global Capitalism
John Nicholas Gray
The English Novel From Dickens To Lawrence
Raymond Williams
SPOILER ALERT!

Paul Eadie on Far from the Madding Crowd Pt2

Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

Chapters 1-7.

Farmer Oak is described as "a man whose moral colour was a kind of salt-and-pepper mixture". Eadie writes "Hmmmm".

Hardy describes Bathsheba as first seen by Oak. Eadie: "thinks/knows she's perfect!". And then "wants plenty of men".

Oak describes Bathsheba as vain. Eadie: "a bit of an truth yet insult".

Oak brings a new-born lamb into his hut. Eadie: "what a hero"

Oak tells the time by looking at the stars". Eadie: "very good"

Bathsheba says "I wish we were rich enough to pay a man to do these things". Eadie: "Bath is rather poor. Poss looking for rich bloke"

Bathsheba meets Oak: "It was with some surprise  that she saw Gabriel's face rising like a moon behind the hedge". Eadie: "not the best entrance".

Oak talks to Bathsheba. Eadie: "oh no you can tell oak is not a smooth talker", and then "is obviously not expert with females".

Bathsheba gives her hand to Oak. Eadie: "definalty leading him on".

Oak: "I've brought a lamb for Miss Everdene. I thought she might like one to rear; girls do". Eadie: "a bit sexist".

Bathsheba runs after Oak. Eadie "may he still have a chance?"

The next two pages have "still cocking it up" written at the top. At the end of the chapter, Eadie: "he finally gets the message and leaves promising not to ask her again".

Oak's sheep die. Eadie: "a perfect end to the week from HELL!"

Farmers don't hire Oak as a shepherd after they hear he was a farmer himself. Eadie: "this put farmer off - he messed up his fort".

Oak extinguishes a fire. Eadie: "brave oak jumps over gate"; "not scared at all"; "Oak being very brave and leading".

Oak meets the owner of the farm, who turns out to be Bathsheba. Eadie: "what a lovely coinsidence".

Oak offers money to a poor girl that he meets: "Perhaps you would accept this trifle from me". Eadie: "Oak gives away some home baking".