whiteslice

Nevermind the human interaction

I read because each reading has the ability to shift the angle of my worldview, and this is in turn feeds the will, the desire to live. This is my crack and  as a result I am a ravenous and indiscriminate reader.

False Dawn: The Delusions Of Global Capitalism
John Nicholas Gray
The English Novel From Dickens To Lawrence
Raymond Williams

I, Robot. Nevermind the movie, here is the book.

I, Robot - Isaac Asimov

Whenever I am faced with any book by Asimov, I can never quite get out of my head the line from a song by Adam Green: 'Smoke crack like Isaac Asimov/Faux black delayed reaction of/Sure enough she's snuggling up to me/I've got to feed them facts'. Layering culture, sweet, awkward.

The best thing about this book is that it is written in a simple way, although it does not necessarily talk about simple things. In fact, as through the short story sequence the humans build more and more complex robots, the discussion of the human relationship with technology gets more intense.

Except it is not a 'discussion'. It does not give you a headache, it does not demand you to strain your intellectual muscles. It talks about important things without making them grand. All with a veneer of a dusty melancholy of good, old science fiction.

Plotwise, it contains humans who build more and more advanced robots. At the same time there is growing concern about A.I. and about robots possibly transgressing their boundaries to become their own masters. For characters, you have two engineers and a 'robot psychologist' (which is a less wanky concept than it sounds), who seems to prefer robots to humans. The other characters are robots.

On the downside, the book starts somewhat slowly, with a robot that is a rather simple machine, playing a part in a simple story. But it picks up speed right after, and on it goes, and then you've read the whole thing in two days. Two days that you can totally afford to spare.